Search This Blog

Saturday 13 February 2016

Real Girls Rescue Themselves?


“This year Victor had sent her a book for her birthday in October like he always did. It was The Three Musketeers. And she had said she had read it on a brief phone conversation in November, secure in the knowledge that she had plenty of time to do so before seeing him at Christmas. Except somehow she’d been doing more interesting things and the book remained unopened. And one reason was that she liked the books he sent well enough, but was beginning to notice that they were always about boys having adventures and doing the swashbuckling stuff.
Not girls.
Girls seemed to be there, when they were there, to be rescued.”
Charlie Fletcher, Far Rockaway (2011)
A girl engaging in the kind of perilous activity one imagines might be necessary for her to rescue herself. There’s also a scene in Far Rockaway where the main character, Cat, climbs a huge mountain, so it is sort of relevant.
But seriously though, why are there so few women in the Bible?

It’s one of those questions that nags at the back of my mind, an irritating point of friction in my nice comfortable faith.1 I spent far too long pretending it didn’t exist, out of a fear of what I might find were I actually to confront it. What if, the threat lurked somewhere in my subconscious, God really does think women are less important and interesting and worth bothering with than men?

Of course, once one brings these anxieties out into the light, one can see how ridiculous they are. My understanding of God may be light-years away from the complete picture, but I know enough to be sure that it would have been completely inconsistent with who he is to have created one half the human race to be inferior to the other. Still, as great a relief as it has been to leave that particular fear behind, I do, as a result, find myself once again face-to-face with the question. If God values women as much as he does men, why didn’t he put more of them in his book?2

It’s not a question to which I can currently provide a satisfactory answer. Women-and-the-Bible is an issue with which I am in the process of wrestling from several angles, attempting to disentangle Biblical truth from the influences of wider society and Christian subculture; I have watched my beliefs about it shift quite significantly in the past few years and am quite willing to admit I might watch them do so again in the next few. Still, I may have something to offer towards the construction of such an answer in the form of a reflection on the tagline of a novel I recently finished.

“Cat is fighting for her life in two worlds: a midtown Manhattan hospital, and a strange landscape full of heroes and villains,” reads the blurb on the back cover of Far Rockaway. “She doesn’t know how she’s going to survive, let alone get home, but she does know one thing: Real girls rescue themselves.” Italics here are substituted for a font-size increase and a colour change; these four words clearly, in the blurb writer’s opinion, encapsulated the, or at least a, key message of the novel.

Far Rockaway is a gorgeous story, though I’d probably think so even more were I more familiar with The Last of the Mohicans, Treasure Island, and Kidnapped, all stories which protagonist Cat’s grandfather Victor read her when she was younger, and whose settings and characters combine to produce the world in which she finds herself having slipped into a coma after being hit by a fire engine. This book is one of those that seizes you by the hand and just runs; there are some excellent plot twists, and swashbuckling abounds. Cat is a realistically and engagingly drawn heroine, and her disappointment that so few girls feature prominently in the stories her grandfather loves undeniably echoes with my frustration at the absence and inactivity of women in so much of the Bible – but I don’t think the solution she proposes can be similarly transferred. This from towards the end of the novel, pages 402-3 in the copy I read:
Fletcher, Charlie, Far Rockaway, London: Hodder Children’s Books (2011)
Magua wasn’t coming.
Nor was he going anywhere. He was lying sideways on the sand, kebabed on her sword.
He looked more surprised than hurt, but the blade had passed through his chest from side to side where he had fallen on it.
He was trying to push up, but not getting very far.
“But,” he spat in disbelief. “But … this is … wrong! You’re just a–”
Cat didn’t feel elated. Or relieved. She just felt very tired all of a sudden.
“I know,” she said. “I mean, I know you’re a big strong man and I should run away and wait for another big strong man to come and rescue me, but you know what I never get?”
She looked back at Victor.
“Why do the guys get to do all the rescuing? I mean I loved all the stories you gave me and read me, but one thing: where were the real girls? Half the books, they weren’t there at all, and the other half they’re wimped-out girly-girls getting all weepy and falling in love with the mysterious complicated dude or waiting for the right guy to save them.”
Magua coughed at her feet. His eyes were draining away as he rolled them up to look at her in confusion.
“You’re just a girl…” he snarled weakly.
“Just little old me,” she agreed.
And then she leant down, gripped the sword handle decisively and gave a sharp tug, yanking it free and dropping him back to the sand. Magua’s eyes flared up at her as if he was about to retort.
Then they fluttered. And were still.
“But then, that’s all it takes,” said Cat. “Real girls rescue themselves.”

My knee-jerk reaction to the lack of female presence and agency in the Bible can easily be to attempt to shoehorn various Biblical women into the kind of self-rescuing role Cat describes. The classic example of a ‘strong’ Biblical woman is Esther, of course, boldly approaching the king despite threat of death in order to save her people from genocide.3 Then there’s Miriam, cunningly engineering things so that her mother ends up employed as a wet-nurse for her own son.4 Deborah does very well too: the leader of all Israel in her day, without whom metaphorically holding his hand, military man Barak refuses to go and attack anyone.5 And I elevate these women: look how great they were, how brave, how clever, how important – and in doing so, I miss the point.

If I’m reading the Bible and elevating anything other than God as a result, I’m getting something seriously wrong. That’s not to say that I shouldn’t admire the admirable qualities that Biblical women display, but rather that I have to do that in the context that God is the source and measure of all that is admirable. And God’s priorities for those who follow him are not that they should be important or independent, that they should get by on their own courage and wits, that they should rescue themselves. Rather, he is concerned that they should humbly love him and other people, wholeheartedly and selflessly, always trusting in and relying on him. Having an attitude like that means not minding melting into the background, so maybe that’s one lens through which we might view the scarcity of Biblical women. In any case, if, in desperately attempting to demonstrate that God values women, I consequently end up sidelining him in favour of them, I’m diminishing him in his many brilliances – one among them being, of course, that very equal valuing of all humans regardless of sex.

Real girls can’t rescue themselves from the one captivity that will matter most in the end, that of the selfish nature. Nor can real boys. That’s the kind of rescuing only God can do – and he, in his infinite mercy, chose, for our sake, not to rescue himself from the agony of the cross.6 That’s the example he would have us follow. And the universality of that sacrifice surely contains a far more powerful statement about the relative value God places on men and women than the character gender-balance in the stories of the Bible ever could.

Footnotes

1 This statement is, in case this didn’t come across, supposed to contain the notion that my faith shouldn’t actually be all that comfortable, and I should be more worried about being too comfortable than encountering such points of friction. This from Andy Mineo’s song ‘Comfortable’: “Nobody told me you could die like this. / Nobody told me you could die from bliss, yeah. / Nobody told me. Nobody told me. / We never ever saw it coming.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W1KT8xXaN8

2 I’ve not counted, but Christian Answers has handily put together some lists which show pretty clearly that there are many more men than women mentioned in the Bible: http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/men.html, http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/women.html.

3 See, surprise surprise, the book of Esther: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Esther+1&version=ESVUK.

4 This particular story comes from Exodus 2, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%202&version=ESVUK, where Miriam is not explicitly named, but she pops up plenty of times in the rest of the Pentateuch as well. Have an explore.


6 “So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, ‘He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him.” Matthew 27:41-42 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+27&version=ESVUK

No comments:

Post a Comment