Search This Blog

Sunday 20 March 2016

Five Reasons to Give Blood



Bolt:                 What is this red liquid coming from my paw?
Mittens:            It’s called blood, hero.
Bolt:                 Do I need it?
Mittens:            Yes. So if you want to keep it inside your body where it belongs, you should stop jumping off trucks doing eighty on the interstate!
Bolt (2008)
Honestly, I was not expecting to find a stock photo of someone giving blood, so, although I’m not actually obliged to credit her, I nevertheless offer my thanks to Lynn Greyling at publicdomainpictures.net.
Those of you with particularly good memories may recall that the first of my new year’s resolutions for this year was to become a blood donor.1 I made my first donation a couple of weeks ago and today received a letter containing thanks, a snazzy keyring, and a wallet-sized card informing me that my blood type is A-positive – so I now feel rather like a proper donor, and consequently not too much of a hypocrite for writing this post.

Here’s the thing: only four per cent of the UK population give blood regularly.2 Four. Granted, some people are too young (under seventeen) or too old (over sixty-six) to donate, and others have health conditions or other reasons which prevent them from doing so, but the fact remains that a majority of people could be blood donors, yet only four per cent actually are. And, having thought about my own reasons for not signing up to donate sooner, and about conversations I’ve had, I can only theorise that the main reasons why the proportion is so low are simply apathy and squeamishness. So the following list is intended as a gentle shove out of any such apathy and squeamishness in which you, O Best Beloved Reader,3 may be currently residing. Here are five reasons to give blood.

1)      It saves lives.

Let’s kick things off straightforwardly enough: there are people alive today who would not be if donated blood had not been available for them. So, you know, if other people not dying is something you’re on board with, blood donation would seem like a pretty good idea.

There’s a scene in the first ever episode of the CBBC drama Young Dracula in which Mr Branagh, in search of his son Robin, heads to the castle into which the Dracula household recently moved, in flight from an angry Transylvanian peasant mob, and knocks on the door, to which a sign reading ‘Blood doners wanted’ has been attached. The door is answered by Count Dracula’s servant Renfield: “You rang?”4
“Sorry to bother you,” begins Mr Branagh.
“Have you come to donate blood?” interrupts Renfield.
Mr Branagh is confused: “What?”
“The sign,” explains Renfield, before repeating, “Have you come to donate blood?”
“No,” replies Mr Branagh. “Look–”
“It’s for a good cause,” Renfield encourages him.
“What cause?”
“Lunch.”
“No, I’m here because – did you just say ‘lunch’?”
Renfield backtracks. “Um, no, I’ve got – ahem – I’ve got a cough.”
A few moments later, Renfield ends up advising Mr Branagh that, if he doesn’t want to donate blood, he should sling his hook, and slamming the door in his face. Count Dracula is none too pleased: “‘Sling your hook’? That was a ten-pint delivery!”
“But he said he didn’t want to give blood!” protests Renfield.
“They never want to give blood!” Count Dracula snarls at him. “That’s why I’ve got these!” He bares his fangs.
 
One assumes this random vampire is hiding some similarly threatening fangs behind that cape.
I reckon a little thought given to why this scene is amusing is quite telling. It’s funny because it’s incongruous: Count Dracula’s lunch is patently not what most people would consider a good cause for blood donation, as the Count himself is well aware, and so Renfield, by asking for willing donations, is clearly barking up the wrong tree. The reason the NHS, by contrast, can plausibly ask for willing donations, is because there seems, oddly enough, to be something of a general consensus among humans that saving people’s lives is, by and large at least, an actual good cause.
                                                                                           
2)      The process is really straightforward.

Step 1: book an appointment on the NHS Blood and Transplant website.5 They’ll suggest venues based on your postcode and it only takes a few clicks to sort everything out.

Step 2: fill in the form they send you in the post. It’s just yes/no questions to make sure there aren’t any glaring obstacles to you being able to donate; a couple of minutes is probably all you’ll need.

Step 3: turn up, with your filled-in form, and do what the lovely NHS people tell you. You’ll most likely be in and out in under an hour.

And that’s it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

3)      It’s not nearly as unpleasant as you may be dreading.

I’ll be honest: I don’t like needles. I especially don’t like them when they’re left in for any length of time. So having one in my arm for seven minutes and forty-three seconds, which is apparently how long my first donation took, is not at all my idea of the most fun in the world. Nevertheless, I genuinely found giving blood to be a surprisingly relaxing experience.

Much as I can detect your cynically raised eyebrows even from here, do please hear me out. For a start, the special blood-donation chairs are really comfy and recline at a very pleasant angle, and the nurses will go out of their way to make sure you’re not uncomfortable; I, for example, was given a cosy blanket in case I should get cold having taken my jacket off. The actual putting in of the needle is, admittedly, a little unpleasant, as you might expect, but, after a few seconds, you stop noticing it. Then you spend the next few minutes staring at the ceiling doing very gentle clenching exercises. Being, as I was, in the state of mild stress that never really seems to go away once one’s third year of university has begun, it was actually very welcome to spend a little while doing something other than working or feeling as if I really ought to be working.6 (It’s not just me, either: I was talking to a housemate of mine who gave blood at a similar time to me and she agreed that, in those few minutes, she was the most chilled she’d been all day.) So the actual donation process is really quite unobjectionable. And afterwards, you get to drink squash and eat delicious sugary snacks until such time as you feel inclined to leave.
 
These attractive biscuits may or may or not be representative of the kinds of delicious sugary snacks available at blood donation sessions in your local area. I personally had a Penguin, a Club, and some custard creams.
4)      You have the resources.

I expect many of us who are living on student loans and whatever cash we can persuade our parents to top them up with have grand ideas about all the good causes we’d like to support financially once we’re earning enough of a salary to feasibly do so. I expect many of us who find ourselves making decisions about which bits of work we’re going to leave aside until pre-exam revision, because we simply can’t find the hours in the day to get everything done while still keeping ourselves functioning, have grand ideas about the good causes to which we’d like to give our time could we spare it. Personally, I’m pretty sure that my main problem in the areas of time and money is not so much the amount I have but the way I manage it, but in any case, when it comes to blood, there aren’t many of us who don’t have enough of the stuff sloshing about inside us that we can’t spare just under a pint of it every few months. If you want to be more generous, but feel it would be irresponsible to give away any more of your money or any more of your time, give blood.

5)      It imitates Christ.

“My blood seems to know there are souls to atone.
It gives with no concern for its own
And it will not stop until every drop is spilled.” – Pas Neos, ‘The Joy Set Before Me (The Anointing, Last Meal, and Garden Prayer)’, Who Do You Say I Am? (2012)

It was at Momentum earlier this year that I first came across the notion of blood donation being just another manifestation of the generosity asked of us as Christians, and it was a notion that really struck me. What does it say about us if we’re prepared to meticulously tithe or exceed a tithe, if we’ll happily give over a few hours of our week to unpaid service, and yet we shrink from giving of our own bodies? Do we still think we own them? Has it not yet sunk in that we were bought at a price?7 Are we not yet really prepared to present ourselves as living sacrifices?8

And on top of that, are we not aiming to be imitators of God, as beloved children, and to walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us?9 Gave himself up for us – and bled, pouring out his blood of the covenant for many for the forgiveness of sins.10 Will we consider him shedding his blood for our sake, even when we were still his enemies, on the cross, in all its appalling brutality – and then refuse to shed our own for anyone else’s sake in the safe, orderly, hygienic context of the modern NHS?

So you’re saying that not giving blood is a sin. Well, no, it’s obviously not as clear cut as all that. But I am saying that I would strongly encourage anyone who would call him- or herself a follower of Jesus and doesn’t currently give blood to have a serious think about why exactly not. Because if it is down to apathy or squeamishness, how can such things stay standing when set alongside the cross?

My aim is not – my aim is never – to guilt-trip (Jesus already absolved everyone who will trust in him of all guilt once and for all by his sacrifice on the cross, so it’s completely missing the point to attempt to imitate him out of a sense of guilt), but rather, as I said above, to offer a gentle shove to those who might need it. If we’re in Christ, we’re set free from slavery to things like apathy and squeamishness, and empowered to follow his example of sacrificial love. Giving blood is, I believe, one small but significant way in which we might follow that example.

Footnotes

1 See ‘That Kind of Woman’ under January 2016 in the box on the right.


3 If you’re wondering, yes, that is a reference to Rudyard Kipling’s Just So Stories. ‘O Best Beloved’ is such a pleasing phrase.

4 It occurs to me that he didn’t, actually, but never mind.

5 Indeed, I’ll provide a link for you to make it even easier: https://my.blood.co.uk/home.

6 “So you’re advocating blood-letting for stress relief,” was one response to my having expressed this opinion. And no, I’m not – there are, as I hope this post will have shown, much better reasons to give blood than that – but it was quite a bonus how relaxing the whole process was.

7 1 Corinthians 6:19-20: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+6&version=ESVUK. Yes, the context here is one of sexual immorality, but it isn’t as if we only become not our own specifically when we’re considering using prostitutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment