Search This Blog

Saturday 14 December 2019

The Old Testament Eschatology Project 1: Premise


“Can anyone see where this is going? No? Does nobody go to Sunday School any more? It’s basically a Four-Horsemen-of-the-Apocalypse thing, but I’m doing it on my own. Cutbacks.”
Being Human S5 E6, ‘The Last Broadcast’ (2013)

During the first half of this academic term, my early-morning women’s Bible study group (we call it WBS for short, pronounced ‘wibs’, the vowel being supplied by the sound produced by the ‘o’ in ‘women’ – funny old language, English) worked its way through chapters 4-11 of the book of Revelation.1 I was a fan of that as a decision, because I’m pretty confident that previously, the only bits of Revelation that I’d ever heard teaching on in mainstream/institutionalised church had been the letters to the churches in chapters 2-3, and the new-heavens-and-new-earth bit in chapter 21. So I was raring to go in terms of getting stuck into the throne-room visions and the four horsemen of the apocalypse and the seven trumpets and so forth in a small-group study setting. But then again, I was also kind of apprehensive. See, I know that my views on eschatology are not very similar to those preached in Sunday services at the church with which my WBS group is associated. On the contrary, they’re often directly at odds; indeed, I hold some views which I have heard members of the leadership team at that church go out of their way to specifically refute. So I could anticipate without doubt that moments were going to occur where voicing what I believed to be true would oblige me to make trouble, as it were – to derail the study and make life difficult for the one leading it; to foster discord in the group; to potentially leave people confused and uncertain because I wouldn’t have enough time to explain myself properly; and also, I feared, to fling myself open to the temptation to pride in my own theological correctness over against my sisters in Christ, which seems to assail my soul at every opportunity it gets. But it should be obvious to me that keeping my mouth shut on points of theological contention doesn’t neutralise that temptation; in fact, it nourishes it, as I sit there in smug self-righteousness, internally reaffirming the rightness of my views while refusing to let them be scrutinised by my fellow-believers for the sake of both their edification and mine. Better to speak, I resolved. Better to speak, with as much love and humility as I could manage, praying that God would use my words to bring clarity rather than confusion, discernment rather than discord.
 
This is apparently a monastery on Patmos, where John was when he experienced the titular revelation.
For the first session of the series, as is the practice at WBS, one of the church’s ordained ministers was wheeled in to give an overview of the material to be covered. This time it was the rector, the big cheese himself. He’s a good bloke, I want to make clear from the start; just because I disagree with him pretty vehemently on a number of theological issues, doesn’t mean I don’t respect him as a brother in Christ: he’s really serious about following Jesus, he really cares about his congregation, he determinedly upholds the authority of scripture in settings where it’s hard to do so, and he preaches a lot of really edifying and convicting stuff. It’s kind of a shame that the longest conversation I’ve ever had with him was the one we had after the overview that morning at WBS. But I’m getting ahead of myself: let me tell you about the overview itself first. Having made the usual noises about how Revelation seemed like a weird and intimidating book but was actually totally fine once you actually started to study it properly, the rector made three key points. First, he said, Revelation is not linear. And I thought, yeah, I agree, it’s not; there’s a good deal of doubling back over stuff. Second, he said, Revelation is not some sort of ‘magic code’. I didn’t know quite what he meant by that, but then he added, the strange-seeming imagery isn’t random; it pretty much all comes straight out of the Old Testament, and is to be understood based on its meaning there. And I thought, yeah, I agree with that too; I think that’s a really important thing to realise, pretty much the key to understanding the whole book. Third, he finished, Revelation is not irrelevant, either to those to whom it was originally addressed or to us now. And I thought, well, yeah; I mean, duh; it’s the Bible, innit? None of it’s irrelevant to us. So far, then, all was well. No need for any disagreement yet.

And then he began to unpack those three points, and our areas of disagreement suddenly sprang into view, like in a film where the camera angle suddenly shifts to give a more three-dimensional perspective and you realise the scene isn’t what it initially looked like at all. Revelation is not linear, the rector said; chapters 4-11 mostly refer to the same period of time as chapters 2-3. Oh yikes, I thought, I don’t agree with that at all. Then, Revelation is not some sort of ‘magic code’, he said; for instance, when you look at where the concept of chapter 11’s ‘two witnesses’ comes from, in Zechariah 4,2 it’s clear that they are to be interpreted as symbolic of the Church; and based on a pattern of hearing-followed-by-seeing that John goes through several times, the 144,000 of chapter 7 are to be interpreted as symbolic of the Church as well. Oh yikes, I thought, I don’t agree with those things at all either. And finally, Revelation is not irrelevant, he said; these chapters describe events that have been taking place continually ever since it was written, not the contents of what would have been, for the original audience, a far-flung future thousands of years away; the latter would surely have been of no value to them in encouraging them to stand firm in the faith under the persecution they were suffering. Oh yikes, I thought, I really don’t agree with that at all. Since when has it been our job to decide what is or isn’t relevant for Christians to know and meditate on? and since when, moreover, has God been averse to inspiring scriptures that predict, centuries in advance, events which don’t seem to be of any direct significance to the current situation of those to whom the message is given?

So at the end of the overview, when the rector asked if there were any questions, I braced myself for a disagreement – better to speak – and asked him what he made of the first verse of chapter 4, particularly in light of the nineteenth of chapter 1, where John is told that he will see both things that are, and things that are to take place after this. Chapters 2-3 consist of stuff that definitely comes under the category of ‘things that are’, being letters to seven churches in Asia Minor (a Roman province, modern Turkey); chapter 4 then begins with a voice exhorting John to come up here, and be shown what must take place after this. Does that not suggest a distinction, I asked, whereby the letters to the churches are the ‘things that are’, and from then onwards, we’re dealing primarily with ‘things that are to take place after this’?
 
All right, technically chapter 4 begins with a door standing open in heaven, but I’m trying to stick to what’s actually relevant to my point here.
The rector’s reply to that, as I recall, consisted primarily of affirming a distinction between the two sections in terms of perspective rather than timing: chapters 2-3 were the view from the ground, he said – they described what the Christian life looks like from a human perspective – whereas chapter 4 onwards presented the ‘big picture’, the spiritual reality behind the material one, the situation from God’s perspective. (I remember the words ‘big picture’ specifically because he said them quite a few times.) I didn’t really feel as if that answer accounted satisfactorily for the wording of the text, so you know, I asked for further clarification, and long story short, the thing turned into a bit of a debate.

There are various reasons why it isn’t a very good idea for me to go into the particulars of said debate here, so suffice it to say that, after a few minutes of back-and-forth-ing, when it was time for the session to draw to a close, the rector left me with two suggestions – or pieces of homework, shall we say – that he seemed to think stood the best chance of bringing me round to his way of thinking. The first was to reread Revelation 20, think hard about the timings specified in it, and see whether they really fitted with the chronological schema of the end times that I was proposing. Well, I did that, and being perfectly honest, I haven’t any idea what spanner in the works he was hoping I’d find, because Revelation 20 strikes me as just about the most chronologically straightforward chapter in the whole book. So that was kind of a dead end. The second suggestion, meanwhile, was based on the premise that Revelation was written quite late – close to the end of the first century CE.3 By the time John received all those visions on the island of Patmos, therefore, the Church had existed for decades, and had presumably been talking about eschatology during that time, and developing views on it based on the information they already had. Could my eschatology stand, the rector challenged me, if not for the book of Revelation? Would it have been recognisable to believers living in those first few decades after Jesus’ life, death, resurrection, and ascension? Does it make sense based only on what they had: the Old Testament, the teachings of Jesus, and the apostles’ epistles?

I thought that was a really good point, actually: if my eschatological views aren’t logical or forthcoming based on the sum total of scripture apart from Revelation, then, since scripture is consistent with itself, fair enough, that’s pretty good grounds that they need some reconsidering. Still, my inclination is actually to try to go one better than the rector suggested. There was, after all, a time in the Church’s history – however short it may have been – before any of the gospel accounts were written down, and even before the epistles were circulating; certainly before there was a consensus as to which of them were canonically inspired (we know Paul wrote more letters to churches than are included in scripture; check out 1 Corinthians 5:9, for instance, and Colossians 4:16). Would my eschatology have been recognisable to believers at that stage? Is it logical and forthcoming based on the information they were working from – based on the information Jesus was working from when he taught his disciples? Can my eschatology stand, in other words, based purely on the Old Testament?

Hence what I call The Old Testament Eschatology Project. The thing does what it says on the tin: it’s basically just a case of me trying to work out what we learn about the end of the age from the Hebrew Bible, which is really no more than, you know, reading scripture and trying to work out what it says, which we all do anyway. Still, this requirement to form conclusions without relying on the New Testament gives it a bit of a unique character, I think. You might be thinking that it sounds pretty dodge to deliberately disregard the New Testament when attempting to develop a strand of systematic theology, and as a general rule, that’s fair enough, but that’s why I’m distinguishing this endeavour as a particular project, rather than my normal personal Bible study. If scripture is consistent with itself, then a correct view of eschatology shouldn’t seem foreign or random or unjustifiable when it’s held against what the Old Testament says. Right?

So this is the first of a little series on that. Obviously I’m not going to be able to deal with every relevant passage, and as I say, the thing isn’t going to be finished and polished and tied up with a bow, but I hope, as I hope with regard to everything that I attempt to articulate on my humble little blog, that you my dear and precious readers might find it in some measure helpful and edifying. And God be praised if so.

Footnotes

1 Here’s chapter 4 to kick you off: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev+4&version=ESVUK. Keep it open; it’ll keep coming up.

2 A super fun chapter: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=zech+4&version=ESVUK. Also quite hilarious: “Do you not know what these are?”

No comments:

Post a Comment